Monday 16 July 2012

Be ready to scale

It makes sense to only use the resources you need to save on costs, and in my last post I talked about using only a single node for your entire stack, so for example your web server, web application and and database all running on one node.

Hopefully, sooner rather than later, your system will require to scale horizontally as you have exceeded all the resources available on a single node. To make the process as painless as possible you should use a configuration management tool that allows modularity. I personally prefer Puppet and it allows you to create modules with classes that can take parameters.

When setting up your single node you can create a module per piece of your system, so you could have a database module, and a web server module and a app server module etc.  You will probably also have modules for the software your system is build on, Nginx, PostgreSql for example. In order to distinguish the app stack modules I prefix them with the name of my system. So I will have

mysystem-db
mysystem-app
mysystem-web.

Each of these modules is essentially a class that can take parameters  such as database connection string's host names etc that then can be used in the module directly or via its template when generating configuration files. When you have one node most of the pertinent parameters will be pointing to the same host or localhost.  However once you want to scale out you can easily pass in the new database host for example.

Once you have these building block modules you can have different server roles that you puppet main site script can check and then apply the particular modules.  On my initial node I would have say a primary role that would just apply all the modules with parameters pointing to localhost.  Then one I want a separate database server for example I would have two roles, once webapp and one database. The webapp would apply the mysystem-app and mysystem-web and the database role would apply the mysystem-db.

The other advantage of having puppet being able to setup your single node from a vanilla OS is that you can recover from disaster much quicker than if you have set everything up manually.

You can see from my previous posts I prefer to use a puppetmasterless setup and have me push updates with git rather than the puppetmaster, handling it.  But this begs the question how does puppet know which node role to apply?  This is easily achieved using a few more advanced bits of puppet and a special module we build that discovers the role.  We seed the role with out bootstrap shell script which is passed as a parameter to it. I will reveal all in another post.

Feel free to leave comments or ask questions if anything it unclear.





No comments:

Post a Comment